Spelunky is a cave exploration / treasure hunting game where the goal is to grab as much treasure from the cave as possible. Every time you play the cave's layout will be different. Use your wits, your reflexes, and the items available to you to survive and go ever deeper! Perhaps at the end you may find what you're looking for...
Don't be afraid to die! But also don't be afraid to live! Happy Spelunky-ing!
All Text Ripped From Read Me File In Game Folder.
NOTE: THE CONTROLS CAN BE CONFIGURED WHEN THE GAME LOADS.
Left, Right - Walk
Up - Climb Ladders and Vines
Down - Crouch
X - Whip, Throw Item, Use Item
Z (or W, Y) - Jump
C - Cycle Whip, Bombs, Rope
B - Use Bomb Shortcut
R - Use Rope Shortcut
F - Flare
P - Purchase/Bet
Esc - Pause/Menu (Quit Game)
F4 - Toggle Fullscreen
F9 - Take Screenshot
M - Toggle Music
- To RUN, either start walking and then press down, or hold down either Shift,
Ctrl, Alt, or Spacebar while walking. You can disable "Down for Running" when
the game first loads.
- To PICK UP ITEMS, crouch by them and press X. You can throw them by pressing
X again. Hold up to throw high, and down to drop.
- Certain items, like weapons, can be used, instead of thrown, with X.
- You start each game with 4 BOMBS and 4 ROPES. To use them, cycle to them
with C and then press X to use. The bomb must be armed first. Ropes can be
thrown upwards or downwards, depending on whether you're standing or crouching.
- You can HANG ON TO LEDGES by jumping into them. You can also flip onto a
ledge by crawling over it.
- OPEN CRATES AND CHESTS by holding up and pressing X.
Spelunky does support gamepads natively. To use a gamepad, plug it into the
number 1 USB slot and then enable gamepads when the game starts.
LT | RT Left Trigger - Flare
| Left Bumper - Bomb Shortcut
___LB | RB___ Right Trigger - Purchase/Bet
/ \____=____/ \ Right Bumper - Rope Shortcut
. . D-Pad - Move
| | 9 10 4 | Button 10 - Pause/Menu (Quit Game)
| = = 1 3 | Button 1 - Whip, Throw Item, Use Item
| | 2 | Button 2 - Jump
| | Button 3 - Run
| LA RA | Button 4 - Cycle Whip, Bombs, Rope
| ___________ | Left Analog - Move
' / \ '
LEVEL EDITOR (WIP)
Press F2 at the title screen to go to the level editor. You will be prompted
for a level name. Type in the name of an existing level, or a new level.
Use the mouse to place tiles (left button) or erase tiles (right button). Use
A and S (or the mouse wheel) to switch tiles within a group. Press Escape to
exit the level editor (you will be asked if you want to save the level first).
The number keys 1-4 select the different groups, which are:
NOTE: more tiles will be available to you in the level editor as you play
through the game and meet certain requirements. However, you do not need to
reach any areas to play custom levels, even if they contain tiles you have not
Click on the "Edit Info" button to change one or more of the following:
- Level Name
- Music (Cave, Lush, Ice, Temple, and Boss are the current options)
- Starting Life
- Starting Bombs
- Starting Rope
- Next Level
"Next Level" is the name of a level to go to when you exit this one. If this
is left blank or the level is not found, then exiting this level will take you
to a win screen.
To play the level, press F3 at the title screen. You will be prompted
for a level name.
Levels are saved as ".lvl" files in your levels directory. To share a level
with other players, you can either send them the file or you can simply open
up the file in a text editor (e.g. Notepad), copy the level data, and then
paste it into an e-mail or on a forum. Other users can copy that data and
save it to a .lvl file to play on their own computer.
1. The game just ends immediately after the setup screen!
- Your graphics card may be compatible with Game Maker surfaces, which
Spelunky uses. Try running the game with fullscreen "off" and see if that
2. There are strange visual glitches in the game.
- That is probably another graphics card issue. I am looking into it.
3. The game runs slowly on my computer!
- Try turning "High Detail" off when the game loads. Sorry, Game Maker is
rather slow and I'm not the best programmer!
4. This game is too hard!
- Spelunky is more like a "roguelike" game in that death is fast and always
permanent. It adds a certain tension to the game that makes it compelling.
In short, you're meant to die many times before you complete the game, if
ever. It's supposed to be tough!
5. Any plans to port the game to [game console]?
- Spelunky is made in Game Maker, so a port to a game console is not all that
easy. At some point, I am planning on releasing the source code, and then
if someone wants to attempt to rewrite the game in C++, Java, or some other
"adult" programming language, they are free to do so, so long as they do it
under the license under which I will release the source code.
6. When will you release the source code (.gmk file)?
- Probably 6 months to a year after v1.0 of the game is released. Possibly
sooner. I don't know!
7. I have something to tell you about the game!
- I'd love to hear it! Contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Spelunky is freeware. Feel free to distribute it, so long as you include all
the files, including the executable, this readme, and the sounds folder.
All rights reserved